This is a photo of one of the Tower Blocks, Stratford and Newtown Points being blown up in Stratford in 1981, built in 1964 condemned in 1978, the tower block once housed 80 families until they were moved out when structural faults were found. Photo By Poppy Show
Another view of houses in Claypole Road. These bear a tablet in the gable end naming them as King George Terrace - 1911. Note the gas lamp on the street corner.
Neat terrace of houses in Claypole Road, Stratford. The buiding in the far left of the photograph is the old Abbey Lane School.
The original building was opened in 1921 by Will Thorne, M.P. before King George V and Queen Mary. It cost about £100,000 and included a theatre, swimming-bath, gymnasium, and sports ground, it was very successful until the Second World War. It was closed and sold in 1956. In the 1970s it was being part used as offices. The interior and rear has now (2010) been demolished, the facade restored and modernized, the building rebuilt and converted into one and two bedroom apartments. See old photo titled, Y.M.C.A. & Red Triangle Club, in Plaistow E13, on this site.
Jerry -built housing in Beckton Road, about 1890. The demand for workers in the new and rapidly growing industrial areas of the borough created a huge demand for more housing.
Newtown Point, Henniker Road, Stratford, being prepared for demolition because it had begun to bow - discernable along the left hand side of the block.