Photo shows, E. Loughin's Grocery shop at No78 (it was shown as run by Timothy Murphey in the 1902-03 Kellys directory) J. Mc.Kirdy's fancy Drapery Shop at No79, it was still there in 1902-03 Kellys, and Silvertown Methodist Church. The road is being dug up for sewer works.
Photo Newham Heritage & Archives (Stratford)
Street names in Manor Park record a wealth of English history.
Street names in Forest Gate record a wealth of English history: literary figures, politicians and many others. Some roads bear the names of royal residencies or great houses. Still others record place names across the UK. A few recall more ancient local topographical features.
Forest Gate itself derives its name from a gate leading into Epping Forest, erected to prevent cattle straying from the Forest into the High Road. It was located close to the Eagle & Child public House. It never was a toll gate, and was demolished along with the keepers' cottage, in 1881. (A 'forest' is a royal hunting reserve, it will, of course, contain trees; any standing timber should more properly be referred to as a 'wood' or 'woodland').
The list is not exhaustive but it does give an indication of the breadth of street-naming as housing estates were developed in the 19th and early 20th Century. Sometimes a plot of land would be bought and houses built on it - the developer simply naming roads after their own place of origin.
CHAUCER - Geoffrey, "the father of English poetry" and author who held various post under the King (1340?-1400).
COLERIDGE, Samuel Taylor, poet, philosopher and critic (1772-1834).
DUNBAR, William, Scottish poet "unrivalled in Scotland" and Franciscan Friar (c1460-c1520).
GOWER, probably John, poet and contemporary of Chaucer (c1325-1408).
HORACE, Quintus Horatius Flaccus. Roman poet and author of satires and letters (65-8 BC).
SKELTON, John, English poet of Diss, Norfolk (c1460-1529).
Statesmen and Politicians.
Jubilee exhibition of the Electricity Department of West Ham Council.
Light bulbs to electric cookers - West Ham's Electricity Department sold a wide range of appliances under the slogun "For health's sake - electricity."
This "Ideal Home" display was put on at the West Ham Municipal Baths (now Atherton Leisure Centre) in 1935. The prices make interesting reading: the lamp stand cost £3.5s.9d - about £3.27; an iron was 6/6 (6 shillings and 6 [old] pence or 32½p; a coffee percolater cost 38/6 (£1.18s.6d) or £1.90; the cooker was £12.12s or £12.60p. The more expensive items would be bought on a hire purchase arrangement and paid off weekly at head office at 84 - 86 Romford Road (corner of Vicarge Lane).
So great was the demand that the borough had to extend or rebuild its power stations several times. The graph shows that in 1925 a mere 2,867 units of electricity were supplied which, in tens years had risen to over 41,000 units.
West Ham's Electricity Department had a small fleet of neat battery-powered, eco-friendly, vans.
This compact little battery-powered tower vehicle was used by West Ham Council's Electricity Department for the maintenance of street lighting. The tower was raised and lowered by a pulley mechanism. This photograph was taken in Vicarage Lane, Stratford, outside the offices of the Elecricity Department.
London's main drainage system passes through Newham.
An un-interrupted supply of clean water and the efficient removal of sewage are often taken for granted. But where did people in East and West Ham get their water from?