Medals issued to Miss Edith Emma Richards Davies. The first woman to be awarded the Freedom of East Ham. On 16th April 1935.
She was Nurse and midwife, trained at Plaistow; Superintendent of East Ham branch of the Plaistow Maternity Hospital and District Nurses' Home. Queens Nurse 1907-1934.
Guild of Saint Barnabas (Copper oval)
Red Cross medal (Bronze & Enamel with red cross)
Queen's Institute of District Nursing (Silver, shield shape)
Queen's Institute of District Nursing (Bronze & Enamel, shield shape)
University of St Andrews (Silver, shield shape)
General Nursing Council (Silver)
Plaistow Trained Nurse (Copper Shield with blue ribbon)
Plaistow Maternity Home (Bronze & Enamel)
Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection
Forest Gate Hospital, Forest Lane, had been an industrial school from 1854 to 1906, and in 1908 became a branch workhouse of Poplar union. In 1911 it was bought by West Ham union which reopened it in 1913 as a workhouse infirmary. By 1930 it had 500 beds for maternity, mental, and chronic sick cases.