A West Ham School Board school opened in 1874.
East Ham School Board opened the infants school in 1896. In 1921 part of it became a central school. The remainder was reorganized for seniors and juniors in 1921, for juniors and infants in 1933. In 1945 it was again reorganized for infants and Secondary (modern) boys.
An East Ham School Board School dating from 1902. Photo taken in the 1960s as shown by the 1960s car.
John and Matilda Skipsey.
West Ham Board School, built in1874 in Stratford High Street, on the corner of Abbey Lane.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref AI-17
Winsor Junior Mixed and Infant School stood in East Ham Manor Way.
Posted by: Robert Rogers
West Ham School Board boundary marker stone is all that remains of Abbey Road School.
Seen through the park, Burke mixed secondary modern school, Plaistow, originated as Balaam Street board school, opened in 1897 for 1,556, as successor to the old Balaam Street school. On each floor it had a large central hall flanked by classrooms, to facilitate direct control by the head teachers. In 1930 it was reorganized for senior boys, senior girls and infants. The infants school continued as Balaam Street but the senior schools were renamed after Edmund Burke, the statesman, who lived in Balaam Street for a short time. The school closed at the outbreak of the Second World War, and again in September 1940, but reopened in November 1940 as Balaam Street Emergency School for infants, juniors and seniors. It remained open as Balaam Street until 1945 when it was reorganised and reopened as Burke mixed secondary modern school. It was demolished in 1973.