Painting by H. Smart 1903
The Spotted Dog Inn, it is the only ancient building to have survived in Forest Gate. It is a timber framed building from the 16th century or earlier. It has been much restored and altered over the years and has been neglected and is not in use at the moment.
Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection
Early 20th Century view, showing the frontage at the corner with West Ham Lane. The pub has ornate iron balustrading at first floor level. Compare with other views on this site. The two women with the perambulator appear to be keeping a wary eye on the approaching tram.
Romford Road had a variety of quality buildings along its length - from town houses to solidly-built commercial and municipal premises.
This view of the Romford Road was taken between 1935 and 1937. Former London County Council (now London Transport) tram is passing West Ham Municipal Baths. The trams would be replaced by trolley buses by 1937. The baths were opened in 1934 and incorporated the most modern design of its time. The major pool could be converted into a concert hall, ballroom or a boxing or wrestling arena during the winter; a second pool opened all year round and there was also a model pool for instructional purposes. The centre had facilities for slipper baths, Turkish and vapour baths. In the immediate post-war days of municipal entertainments, opera, ballet and symphony music took turns with boxing, wrestling and ball-room dancing. In the 1980s it was re-named Atherton Leisure Centre.
185 Romford Road was the office of the Liverpool Victoria Insurance company and is today (2010), a firm of solicitors, with flats above.
Note the early London Transport stop sign fixed to the stanchion and an old-style Belisha beacon is in place with the crossing point marked with metal studs in the road.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref 29/3/10 K12
This view, looking northwards, shows Dock Road at the junction of Tidal Basin Road. The Stratford to North Woolwich railway line and the perimeter wall of the Thames Iron Works are to the left. The Clarendon Hotel which dates back to 1867 can be seen to the right of the photo.
A photostat copy of the Architect's original drawing that was in the Borough Engineer's Office at the Town Hall, West Ham.(Architect, Lewis Angell F.R.I.BA)
This photo about 1902, or possibly a little earlier; before the widening of the roadway for the construction of the Corporation Electric Tramway track, Beyond the Conference Hall is seen the oldest block of West Ham Hospital (later known as Queen Mary's Hospital), with the side of the Town Hall in the distance.
Built 1897-8 in Barking Road Canning Town, to replace the fire station at Plaistow. In 1931 a new fire station was built in Prince Regent Lane to replace this one, which was absorbed in the Royal Docks Approaches Improvements Scheme.
Hall, just before installation of organ. Tables set for dining.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref P-30
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref P-29