Photographer at 160 Forest Lane, E7 advertises that he will also produce postcards from photographs.
Messrs A Wood & Son at 67 Woodrange Road, Forest Gate were firm of stationers, bookbinders and printers.
The letter is printed in a variety of fonts as part of their advertising. This item is included in the samples catalogue of C.H. Ward, another local printer.
George Ellis, Draper, at 141 Woodgrange Road took over the business of Mr Bowdidge at No 5. in 1897 and announces a Special Clearance Sale.
Men employed making brushes and brooms at West Ham Municipal Industries in the 1930s.
Men employed at West Ham Municipal Industries in making baskets and other wicker work.
As the number of blind persons began to decrease, so people with other disabilities bagan to be employed.
Shop front of West Ham Municipal Industries in West ham Lane.
Newco Products is the latest version of an organisation that originated in 1922.
Under the Blind Persons Act of 1920, the London Society for Teaching and Training the Blind set up workshops. In 1932 the Society was terminated and the responsibility for the workshop was taken over by the County Borough of West Ham. The workforce comprised 5 Boot Repairers, 5 Mat-Makers, 8 Basket Makers and 7 Home Workers, including knitters and pianoforte tuners.
West Ham Lane
In 1932 the Council moved the workshops to one location in West Ham Lane and laid plans to erect a new workshop on the site. In 1938 the Municipal Workshops for the Blind was opened on 11th April, 1938 by the Minister of Health, the Rt. Hon. Sir H. Kingsley Wood. The photograph shows him with the then Mayor, Councillor Esther Bock, J.P. at the official opening of the workshops.
During this decade the number of blind ex-service people declined and the workshop opened itself up to employing an increasing greater range of disabilities. A number of different products were tried during this period but the income generated was only marginal to the cost of the service.
In the early 1980s the workshop, now known as Newham Municipal Industries, introduced kitchen unit manufacture and gained the specified supplier status from the Council for kitchen units.
Bridge Road Depot
The decision was made to build a purpose designed factory at Bridge Road Depot to house the existing production of kitchen units, the proposed new window works and also to incorporate the DLO Mill & Joinery Works. This was officially opened in 1995 by William Hague, MP. Who was then Minister for Social Security and the Disabled and Leader of the Conservative Party.
The Siggers were originally from the Suffolk area. David (known as Charlie) and Caroline (Carrie) here photographed in 1925, when David was 77 years old and Olive aged 70. Mr Siggers had sold fruit and vegetables from a horse and cart. The family lived at 47 Stanley Road, West Ham. Census details show David as a miller at Du Barry's at the1881; a coal dealer in 1891 and a general labourer in 1901. They had two sons: George and William Richard (who is also on the website)
Great Eastern Railway Painters, Temple Mills, 1900.