FREE TRAVEL ON THE THAMES
Woolwich Ferry at Work - an Impressive Picture of London Life
Paddle Steamer Middlesex leaving the jetty at North Woolwich.
Paddle Steamers Essex and Kent.
Before the Woolwich Ferry began providing a free river crossing, the Great Eastern Railway had its own cross-river passenger ferry service, for which they charged one penny.
This Photo looking across the Albert Road and The Royal Victoria Park, shows the jetty and tall funnels of old steam ferries by the foot tunnel entrance to Woolwich.
Traffic waiting in Stanley Road (now Pier Road) to go on to the ferry in the 1930s. North Woolwich station and goods yard can be seen near the centre of the photograph and the Royal Pavilion public house to the right (now demolished).
John Benn and John Burns on ferry duty together.
By Robert Rogers
Nobody really knows when the first ferry was used to cross the River Thames at Woolwich reach, but it is believed that this may have been the crossing point for travellers from Colchester to Dover and as far back as the Iron Age. The first official record of a Ferry service was in the 14th century.
The Woolwich Free Ferry opened in 1889. The pier was demolished after the new ferry terminal was opened in 1966. The tunnel was designed as an alternative river crossing and opened in 1912.
Posted by: Kathy Taylor