Rails across the Lea marshes: the railway passing close to Bow Back River
Model of West Ham Tram Car No. 119, on the Wanstead Flats to Canning Town route.
This scale model is of a Standard Four Wheel, single truck, double deck, covered top tramcar, constructed in the works of West Ham Corporation's Tramways, Greengate Street, Plaistow. It was exhibited as a working model at the Wembley Exhibition, 1924 and the Model Engineer Exhibition in 1938. It had also been on static display at the Science Museum, South Kensington and for many years at the former Old Station Museum at North Woolwich. A full size West Ham tram can be seen at the London Transport Museum, Covent Garden.
(Image:© Michael Booth)
Street-level photo taken from Woodgrange Road in May 1967, before the station was rationalized and the booking hall replaced. The wooden structures were painted BR green and cream. It is now an unstaffed station, with a set of steel stairs to platform level. None of the original structures exist.
From Newham Heritage & Archives collection (Stratford)
East Ham had a locomotive named after it.
Forest Gate had a railway locomotive named after it.
Route map of West Ham Corporation trams dated 1925. It gives the fares for the various distances expressed in route miles and yards travelled.
Decapod was built at Stratford Railway Works in 1902 and held several records: it was the most powerful locomotive constructed for any British railway up to that time; the first ten-coupled engine ever seen in this country; and the only 0-10-0 tank engine to work our railways.
Stratford Central Junction looking towards London in 1922 showing the complex array of signals, crossovers and branches.
Paddle Steamer Middlesex leaving the jetty at North Woolwich.
Paddle Steamers Essex and Kent.