West Ham Parish Boundary Stone 1864.
The stone bears the number 4, and is one of a series that would have marked the boundary of the Civil Parish of West Ham. Each year in a ceremony called "Beating the Bounds" officials would walk the boundary to ensure the stones were in good order and clearly visible
This stone is located on the pavement in Balmoral Road at flank of 113 Hampton Road, just before the road goes over the railway bridge. The boundary line at this point turns at a right angles proceeding eastward, as far as a point in number 125 Hampton Road, at which point it runs due north The reverse of the stone appears also to have borne an inscription as part of a date is partially discernable.