St Angela's Preparatory School, Grove House, Upton Lane, Forest Gate, gave preparatory and Montessori classes for Boys and Girls. The Ursuline nuns admitted boarding pupils from 1862, by 1902 St Angela's had been recognized by the Board of Education as a public secondary school. A preparatory department was opened in 1903. Under the Education Act, 1944, the school became a multilateral secondary school. Between 1948 and 1955 Grove House was demolished and a new wing built on the site.