Romford Road had a variety of quality buildings along its length - from town houses to solidly-built commercial and municipal premises.
This view of the Romford Road was taken between 1935 and 1937. Former London County Council (now London Transport) tram is passing West Ham Municipal Baths. The trams would be replaced by trolley buses by 1937. The baths were opened in 1934 and incorporated the most modern design of its time. The major pool could be converted into a concert hall, ballroom or a boxing or wrestling arena during the winter; a second pool opened all year round and there was also a model pool for instructional purposes. The centre had facilities for slipper baths, Turkish and vapour baths. In the immediate post-war days of municipal entertainments, opera, ballet and symphony music took turns with boxing, wrestling and ball-room dancing. In the 1980s it was re-named Atherton Leisure Centre.
185 Romford Road was the office of the Liverpool Victoria Insurance company and is today (2010), a firm of solicitors, with flats above.
Note the early London Transport stop sign fixed to the stanchion and an old-style Belisha beacon is in place with the crossing point marked with metal studs in the road.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref 29/3/10 K12
In 1899, Harry (Henry) Hewiett had a hair-dresser's shop at 149 Albert Road and George Herringshaw the Grocer was his neighbour at 147. And, according to Kelly's Directory, they were both still there in 1902-03.
An un-named grocers shop in North Woolwich dating from 1899, typical of so many small lock-up shops of the area.
Thomas Williams, shopkeeper and tobacconist, at 78 Albert Road, corner of Tate Road was trading in 1902-03.
The Post and Telegraph Office at 106 Albert Road in about 1898. This corner shop is also a pharmacy and surgery.
East Ham Market, Myrtle Road, has become an important asset to the local community. Opened in 1922 it filled the gap between street markets and high street shops.
Photo of the junction of High Street North and Romford Road, with the bank and shop including, J. Fountain Sadler, and Manor Park Home and Cononial Meat Stores on the right. The vacant site on the left is where the Earl Of Essex pub now stands.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref AG02
By Robert Rogers
This old and very run-down looking shop in Water Lane, Stratford, was at one time a Butchers Shop in the mid 19th Century.
Royal Albert Dock-Dock Manager's Office. Designed by Vigers and Wagstaffe in 1883. Now outwardly restored but not in use. Photo taken in 1984.
This is the market in Canning Town that moved from Rathbone Street, and is now on the Barking Road. It opened in 1963 with 60 shops and 160 stalls.