THE ROAD TO ESSEX. An extract from Daniel Defoe's "Tour of the Eastern Counties" 1724.
An 1898 advertisement for Elliott & Sons, dairyman of Stratford. The wording probably alludes to the large number of German and Italians in the grocery trades at that time. The tone has a familiar contemporary resonance in regard to the use of foreign labour.
This print portrays an idyllic scene of the once extensive marsh that covered the Essex side of the River Lee (or Lea) around Stratford.
The Stratford Co-operative and Industrial Society opened at the corner of Falmouth Street and Maryland Street, Stratford Newtown in 1862.
Decapod was built at Stratford Railway Works in 1902 and held several records: it was the most powerful locomotive constructed for any British railway up to that time; the first ten-coupled engine ever seen in this country; and the only 0-10-0 tank engine to work our railways.
Stratford Central Junction looking towards London in 1922 showing the complex array of signals, crossovers and branches.
Flying Scotsman at Stratford in November, 1984. 4472 conveyed the late Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother to open the (now closed) North Woolwich Old Station Museum.
The Great Eastern Railway built a magnificent 6 wheel saloon at Stratford Works for the use of the Prince and Princess of Wales.