Leisure and Entertainment

Swan and Chemist, Stratford.

A view of the Swan Hotel and C. A. Pratt Chemist, Stratford taken in February 1925 from Tramway Avenue.

Swan and Chemist, Stratford.

Swan Hotel, Stratford.

Although this photo from February 1925 is not very clear, it shows a 511 Chingford Mount to Maryland Point "Wellington Co" petrol Omnibus with solid tyres, in front of the Swan Hotel, Stratford.


Newham Heritage & Archives Ref B-34

Swan Hotel, Stratford.

Little Wonder coffee house,

"The Little Wonder" coffee house, Romford Road, Manor Park.     The Little Wonder coffee house, was previously a toll-house on the north side of the road, near Ilford Bridge, which survived until about 1900.


Newham Heritage & Archives Ref AG01

Little Wonder coffee house,

Ye Olde Black Bull, Stratford.

This Pub on the corner of Stratford High Street and Chant Street is in the 1850 PO Directory as 'Old Bull' & 1874 as 'The Old Black Bull', apparently was AKA 'Mooney's Imbibing Emporium'

Ye Olde Black Bull, Stratford.

Salway Arms, Stratford.

The Salway Arms was at 31 Angel Lane on the east side at the junction with Pleasant Row. It was demolished in the 1970s to make way for the Stratford Centre. 
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref AG-40

Salway Arms, Stratford.

Black Lion, rear.

This is an old established pub which popular legend connects with Dick Turpin. It certainly existed before 1742 and was either refaced or rebuilt in 1875.

Black Lion, rear.

Rear of Black Lion pub Plaistow.

This is an old established pub which popular legend connects with Dick Turpin. It certainly existed before 1742 and was either refaced or rebuilt in 1875.

Rear of Black Lion pub Plaistow.

Broadway Cinema, 1944

The Broadway Cinema which opened in 1913 was on High Street South between Rancliffe Road and Mitcham Road. This rare photo of the Broadway which can be seen through the bombed-out ruins of the White Horse pub.


From the Thompson collection of glass negatives of East Ham War damage. In Newham Heritage and Archives.


Broadway Cinema, 1944

Toys

Toys used by Newham children 1870s to 1930, from the collection of Newham Heritage & Archives.  Many poorer children only had home-made toys to play with but mass-produced toys became more widely available during this period. Soft toys and dolls, model cars and animals, are all popular today and are included amongst the old toys shown in this photograph.

Toys

Circus 1892

Wombwell & Bailey's stupendous circus, museum and memagerie was on Wanstead Flats over the Easter Holiday in 1892. It was billed as the Largest and Greatest Show in the World.


Poster from the collection of Newham Heritage & Archives

Circus 1892
Syndicate content