This is an old established pub which popular legend connects with Dick Turpin. It certainly existed before 1742 and was either refaced or rebuilt in 1875.
Forest Gate School of Music, Earlham Grove, had a varied programme of entertainment for their Christmas Party in 1898.
A poster advertising wrestling at the Granada Barking Road East Ham on Thursday 31 October 1968. London versus The Rest. The Granada East Ham was a well Known entertainment venue. The Granada is now a Bingo Hall.
Copy of a poster owned by K.Taylor
The Beatles appeared at the Granada Barking Road East Ham on 9th November 1963 as part of their autumn tour supported by Peter Jay and The Jaywalkers plus others on the advert. This was their second appearance at this venue as they supported Tommy Roe and Chris Montez when they played the East Ham Granada 9th March 1963. The Granada at East Ham was the venue for many pop stars of the 1960s. Gerry and the Pacemakers, Lulu, Johny Kidd and The Pirates,The Tornados, and Joe Brown just to name a few. Also in 1958 Buddy Holly had played at the Granada. The Granada today is now a Bingo hall.
A facsimile of an advert in the Stratford Express from the 1960s
Broadway Cinema , Tramway Avenue E15, was opened in 1927 and closed by bombing 1940-41. It became the Gaumont in 1948 and closed 1960.
The Greengate as it appeared in the early 1930s looking from Barking Road to Greegate Street at its junction with Dongola Road.
This postcard view of the 'Greegate' public house was taken in 1925 - The Lucky Devil, starring Richard Dix - was released in the summer of that year.
The pub is recorded from at least 1776 and retained its original appearance the longest of the five old inns or public houses of Plaistow. The weather boarding on the Greengate Street side survived the Second World War. When post-war alterations and rebuilding were carried out, an 18th century "Sun" fire insurance plate was discovered.
The Greengate Cinema next door (also called the Rio) was there from 1912 to 1957. For many years it was a branch of Wade Pollard who provided low cost clothing and it is now (2010) the Four Square Gospel Church.
Carlton Cinema stood in Green Street. It was built in 1927 on the site of the old St-George's-in-the-East industrial school and was built in an exotic "Egyptian" style using decorative tiles. It stood until the 1980s, when it was demolished. For a time it was called the ABC Cinema. The rear of the site is now a car park although there are still shops along the Green Street frontage.