The Spotted Dog Inn, it is the only ancient building to have survived in Forest Gate. It is a timber framed building from the 16th century or earlier. It has been much restored and altered over the years and has been neglected and is not in use at the moment. This old photo taken when it was in good condition.
Plashet Park on the southern edge of Forest Gate, a fine public park built for the leisure of the new residents of the expanding suburbs of north-west East Ham. With Passmore Edward Library in the background, the Library now houses the Registry Office for the Borough.The park opened in 1891 and its original layout is relatively intact. Various features were added over the years including tennis courts and a play area with pool.
The Green Man which stood on the corner of Plashet Grove and Katherine Road has recently been demolished.
Photo: Newham Heritage & Archives
The Cinema was located on the south side of Romford Road, just past the junction with Upton Lane. It is now a mosque. The ornamental sculptures have been removed by the owners.
This photograph of Manor Park Library was taken in 2005. This was the first building funded by the Carnegie Trust in East Ham and cost £5,000. It opened in 1905.
Before overhead projectors and lap-top computers, lantern lectures were a popular form of informal education. Talks would be given on a wide range of subjects, illustrated by slides projected onto a screen. Early slides were hand-painted on small glass plates, and later slides were either transfers or photographic plates.