This is an interior view of the reference section of Stratford Central Library. For more information see entry under the above heading and for a description of the building see under West Ham College.
The library, in Water Lane, was built by West Ham Borough Council and was called Central Library, forming part of a complex comprising, library, Municipal College and the (former) Passmore Edwards Musem.
The new library building opened in 2000 at 3, The Grove, E15 1EL. It replced the older library located in Water Lane, adjacent to the University of East London.
The library was designed for Newham Council and built and fitted out at a cost of £3.3million. The building area is 2,000 sq.metres. and it is built in brick and reconstituted stone.
The second Church of St. Mary. Plaistow, built in 1894 replaced the first Church built in 1830. The church proved too large for post-war needs and was demolished in about 1977. the site was redeveloped for housing with a much smaller church and opened in 1981. This photo taken in May 1970.
The Spotted Dog Inn, it is the only ancient building to have survived in Forest Gate. It is a timber framed building from the 16th century or earlier. It has been much restored and altered over the years and has been neglected and is not in use at the moment. This old photo taken when it was in good condition.
Royal Albert Dock-Dock Manager's Office. Designed by Vigers and Wagstaffe in 1883. Now outwardly restored but not in use. Photo taken in 1984.
Tower blocks like Ronan point were thought to be the perfect solution the housing shortage in the 1960s but this proved not to be the case. Tragically on morning of Thursday 16 May 1968 one corner of the 22 story block of flats collapsed after a gas explosion, caused by a lady striking a match to light her cooker. Five people were killed by the explosion.
Rokeby House was built in the reign of James I and stood on Stratford Broadway.The house was demolished in 1898 to make way for the Empire Music Hall (now Empire House).
This is the market in Canning Town that moved from Rathbone Street, and is now on the Barking Road. It opened in 1963 with 60 shops and 160 stalls.