This substantial property stood in The Green, Stratford and was one of many large properties around the area stretching from Maryland Point, The Grove and Romford Road. It later became known as Tensulam House. This photograph was taken in April, 1929.
This woodcut, by Elizabeth Frys daughter Katherine Fry shows the back of the house. It was used as an illustration in The Gurneys of Earlham, 1895 by Augustus Hare.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref 13/1/10 -AD49
From 1700 until the 1850s, the area around Upton Cross contained a number of big houses standing in extensive grounds, many of which were occupied by well-to-do Quaker families. Upton Lane House which stood on the Portway (formerly Upton Lane) was the home of Elizabeth Fry from 1829 until 1844. It stood the grounds of Ham House (earlier known as Upton House), the home of her brother Samuel Gurney.
Photo of the rear of "The Chestnuts", The Broadway, Stratford. Shows an ornate metal and glass porch.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref C-37
This substantial property faced The Green, Stratford, opposite West Ham College and the land ran back towards the railway line, its left flank close to but not adjoining Water Lane.
Richmond House, Richmond Street Plaistow, was a three storey early 18th century building with a segmental pediment and corinthian pilasters to the front door. This image shows the ornate front gate. John Curwen lived there in the 1860s. The house was demolished in 1930.
The view of Litchfield Avenue from Romford Road, Stratford. You can see the workmans hall and club at 27 Romford Road on the left, with tiling on the walls and ornate leaded light windows, and a to be sold notice on one of the houses.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref U-22
187 Romford Road Stratford, was occupied by West Ham Juvenile Employment Committee and Local Old Age Person Committee. This photo shows a group of juveniles sitting on the steps.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref U-21
The premises at No1 Atherton Road was used by Grist & Son, Plumbers and Decorators, you can see a notice on the tree, there is also a second notice just inside the gate.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref U-19
A large Three storey house at 185 Romford Road, Stratford. Photo taken looking North East. 1930s
This building was at one time Clark's (Private) High Schools For Girls, and a Kindergarten & Preparatory Class for Little Boys.
In 1904 there were 13 private schools in West Ham classed as Secondary, this included Forest Gate collegiate school for girls Romford Road, founded in 1874.
Later this was taken over by Clark's. In 1918 it was one of 11 private schools in the borough recognized by the Board of Education. This building was demolished in 1935. By 1939 hardly any private schools survived, but in 1941 Clark's were still in Romford Road Forest Gate, but at no328, the Principal at this time was Ernest G.V. Clark.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref U-13