Another view of houses in Claypole Road. These bear a tablet in the gable end naming them as King George Terrace - 1911. Note the gas lamp on the street corner.
Neat terrace of houses in Claypole Road, Stratford. The buiding in the far left of the photograph is the old Abbey Lane School.
Jerry -built housing in Beckton Road, about 1890. The demand for workers in the new and rapidly growing industrial areas of the borough created a huge demand for more housing.
The house, formerly known as "Upton Lane House" was from 1829 until 1844, the home of Mrs Elizabeth Fry, Quaker minister and prison reformer. Whilst living there, she conducted her campaign for the reform of prison conditions, and was in in 1842 visited by King Frederick William IV of Prussia.
Entrance doorway to 84 romford Road Stratford. This Building was demolished when the first West Ham Electricity showroom and depot were built. The second suite of the West Ham Council Electricity Department Offices and Showrooms in Romford Road Stratford, opened in 1930, replacing the earlier 1920s premises. This building, on the corner of Vicarage Lane was transferred to the London Electricity Board when the industry was nationalised in 1948. In the late 1990s they were converted into flats.
Photo: Newham Heritage & Archives