Class of Clark's High School for girls in 1910.
In 1904 there were 13 private schools in West Ham classed as Secondary this included Forest Gate collegiate school for girls, Romford Road, founded in 1874.
Later this was taken over by Clark's (Private) High Schools For Girls, and a Kindergarten & Preparatory Class for Little Boys.
In 1918 it was one of 11 private schools in the borough recognized by the Board of Education. This building was demolished in 1935. By 1939 hardly any private schools survived, but in 1941 Clark's were still in Romford Road Forest Gate, but at no328, the Principal at this time was Ernest G.V. Clark.
Photo: Kathy Taylor
Photo of pupils and staff of West Ham Central Secondary School. Whalebone Lane/ Tennyson Road West Ham. Some of the staff names are Known, Dr Burness (Head), Miss Graydon (Senior Mistress), Mr Davis (Headmasters Clerk), Sgt Pritchard (Boys P.E. instructor).
A photograph taken during "Education week" in June, 1922; when parties of visitors were shown over the church. Canon T.Guy Rogers, M.C., Then Vicar of West Ham, is seen in the centre of the group.
Napier Road board school West Ham, was opened in 1904 for 1,500. It was reorganized in 1934 for junior boys, junior girls, and infants, and in 1945 for mixed juniors and infants. This school bacame Ranelagh Primary. (so not to be confused with Napier School East Ham)
Class IV, 1918. Napier Road board school East Ham, was opened in 1902. It was reorganized in 1927 for senior boys, junior boys, and infants, in 1945 for secondary (modern) boys and infants, and in 1953 for junior mixed and infants, the secondary school being transferred to the new Thomas Lethaby building. This school is now Nelson junior school.
(This photo is presumed to be Napier Road School East Ham but there was also a Napier Road School West Ham)
Girls class, Circa 1912. The school opened in 1887 and was closed in 1920s in the reorganisation into junior and secondary schools.
Girls drill, thought to be Circa 1912. Water Lane board school, Stratford, was opened in 1897 on a large site which also included a deaf and dumb centre.