Boxing at Mansfield House in 1931. Boxing was one of the many recreational activities encouraged at Fairbairn Hall, Barking Road, run by the Mansfield House Settlement.
Miss Rebecca Halley Cheetham was the first warden of the Canning Town Women's Settlement for 25 years from 1892.
UNIVERSITY SETTLEMENTS, INSTITUTES, HOSTELS, MISSIONS & CHARITIES IN NEWHAM - A Brief History.
Mansfield House, Dockland Settlements and Canning Town Women's Settlement were the largest and best known. Trinity College Oxford Mission and St. Helen's Women's Settlement were in Stratford. They are all part of the Newham Story and each is a story in its own right.
The Settlement movement began in the East End in 1884 with Toynbee Hall in Whitechapel. Universities and public schools gave money, personnel and backing to 'settle' students in residential communities and build a range of centres and halls at the heart of urban poverty, unemployment and inequality.
Locally, they provided a centre for social activities with thousands taking part in the sporting, health, educational and social programmes. Clinics and hospitals, nurseries and sports fields, social clubs and advice centres sprang from them. They spread out to include country and sea-side centres for recreation or convalescence
Five Settlements were established in the old County Borough of West Ham in Canning Town, Plaistow and Stratford. Three were Anglican foundations and, unusually, two were Free Church (Congregational).
Here is a summary of the University Settlements. Some records and pictures- particularly of Mansfield House and Canning Town Women's Settlement are in the Newham archives. Mansfield House has fuller notes here to illustrate the scope, development and decline of local Settlements. Separate notes on the Docklands Settlement are available.
Christian enterprise on one site in Canning Town has a history dating back to 1894, and which, at its peak, had 10,000 people belonged to the clubs, sporting activities, nursery schools and church.
MANSFIELD HOUSE has been based in Plaistow from 1889 and has provided community activities and social support since that time.
Yellow banner with the words Canning Town Womens Settlement P.S.A. 1892 and the design of two hands in a leaf in the centre, with a background design of flowerheads and a brown border on a wooden pole. (P.S.A. stands for Pleasant Sunday Afternoon)
Blue banner with the words Canning Town Womens Settlement Sisterhood and the design of two hands in a leaf in the centre, yellow corded border and tassle on a wooden pole.