This modern church building on the corner of Romford Road and Herbert Road was opened in 2009. It replaces an earlier one, built in 1964, that was badly damaged by fire (believed to be arson) in 2003.
The first congregation met in a disused beer-shop in Greenhill Grove around 1870 first and then in a skittle alley. The first building was in 1880 and a larger church was rebuilt in 1891. The 1964 rebuild was funded by the sale of the Sixth Avenue church.
(Text: Abridged from Colin Marchant's Faith Flows in Newham Project, with additional information from Newham Heritage Service; photograph: Matthew Crisp. More information about the history of the Methodist Church in Newham can be found in Colin's article Methodism in Newham on the website )
Fife Road Mthodist Church has its origins in 1853 when they first met in Coke Oven Cottages on the site of Thames Iron Works.
STRATFORD NEW TOWN E15 began in 1870 when Chapel Street members started services in Chandos Road and transferred later to the Mechanics Institute [of the Great Eastern Railway] in Store Street. New Town was attached to The Grove church until 1919. From 1919 to1939 it majored on youth work, leading to a sports ground at Lambourne End. In the 1939-1945 war the congregation used the Anglican St. Marks which the Methodists later bought.
(Text: Colin Marchant Faith Flows in Newham Project,with additional information from Newham Heritage Service; photograph: Matthew Crisp. More information about the history of the Methodist Church in Newham can be found in Colin's article Methodism in Newham on the website )
John Wesley, founder of Methodism, preached in a Plaistow 'meeting house' in 1739.
Photo shows, E. Loughin's Grocery shop at No78 (it was shown as run by Timothy Murphey in the 1902-03 Kellys directory) J. Mc.Kirdy's fancy Drapery Shop at No79, it was still there in 1902-03 Kellys, and Silvertown Methodist Church. The road is being dug up for sewer works.
Photo Newham Heritage & Archives (Stratford)
The Conference Hall in West Ham Lane, Stratford, was in the block between Widdin Street and Bryant Street. It Became Methodist in 1934.
The Methodist Church at the Wesleyan Central Hall, The Grove Stratford. Also in the photo Dyers the cleaners.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref U-33