Military Medal awarded to Frederick John Redman
Private F J Redman, 108395, served in 21 Machine Gun Corps. He was advanced to Acting Lance Corporal and, later, to Sergeant.
In addition to the two WW1 service medals on this web site, he also gained the Military Medal "for bravery in the field" in France during the First World War. This was announced in the London Gazette of 21st October, 1918. Unfortunately, editions of the Gazette were lost in World War 2 and the citation is not available. (attachment shows reverse of medal)
Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection
As well as medals awarded for service in the First World War, Mr Redman further distinguished himself as a civilian in the Second World War. The George Medal (image on this web-site) was awarded when he was working at the Gas Light and Coke Company as Chief Valve-man. Redman and several other men were awarded the GM for their courageous action.
VISIT TO FIRST WORLD WAR BATTLEFIELDS. Former Mayor visits troops from East Ham at the historic battlefields of France and Belgium and sees the widespread destruction of towns and cities at first hand.
Frederick Ernest Cearns, 24th Royal Fusiliers. Killed In Action West-Hoak, Ridge, Ypres. August 13th 1917. Son of Mr. J. W. Y. and Mrs. E. A. Cearns, of 8, Plaistow Park Rd., Plaistow, Enlisted Nov., 1914. Also served at Gallipoli. Previously wounded in March,1917.
Three sons of George and Emily Cunnington, of 62 Chesterton Terrace, Plaistow were Killed In Action in the First World War: George aged 30; Arthur aged 29; Jack aged 23.
In memory of Gordon Munro (Civil Service Rifles) who Fell In Action June 7th 1917 at Messines Ridge. This plate was placed in St, Mary's, Plaistow by his Mother & Lily Poupard.
This memorial plaque to Sergent Major Onslow was removed from the second Church of St Mary, Plaistow, prior to demolition about 1977, by the Passmore Edwards Museum.
This memorial plaque to Sergeant. J.L. Ower, killed at Ypres, July 31st 1917, was removed from the second Church of St Mary, Plaistow, prior to demolition about 1977, by the Passmore Edwards Museum.