HMS Albion, seen here dressed over-all ready for launch, was built at Thames Iron Works at Leamouth and was among the earliest to be fitted with an innovative propulsion system.
Trebor Quality Sweets and the story of the Candy Coated Copper.
Robertson & Woodcock, makers of Trebor sweets, opened a small factory in Shaftesbury Road, Forest Gate, in 1907. The large building on the corner of Shaftesbury and Katherine Roads was built in 1937, in the art deco style. It closed in the 1980s along with their other factories in Woodford and Maidstone. In its heyday the Company also owned Sharpe's Toffees and Moffat's (a small business making mainly toffee) and Clarnico, famous for its "Mint Cream".
For many years it was the largest employer in the area and, out of a workforce of about 300, by far the most were women. The factory chimney was the tallest structure in the locality (and possibly still is). Every few years the whole stack was given a coating of linseed oil to weatherproof the brickwork. The company had wanted to extend the works by building on a cleared site which they owned on the corner of Derby and Katherine Roads, linked by a bridge to the main works. These plans were objected to by the borough council on the grounds that it was a largely residential area and intensified manufacturing could not be agreed to, so the plans were not pursued.
When the Company closed the 1980s the Trebor brand was bought by Cadbury Schweppes (itself recently bought out by Kraft) and production was transferred to Bourneville. The old factory was divided up into smaller units - mainly of the "sweat-shop" kind. It was bought by developers Hollybrook who converted it into 51 live/work apartments sold on 125 year leases at a starting price of £164,000 per unit, which began to go on sale in 2003.The developers reinstated the TREBOR QUALITY SWEETS slogan on the frontage.
The former extension site across the road mentioned above is only now (2010) being developed and a tall steel framework has been erected.
Arthur William Shields of 139 Forest Lane was a manufacturing optician who made lenses for microscopes.
Silvertown golf ball and box.
The India Rubber, Gutta Perch and Telegraph Works Co. began in 1864, when the Silver family renamed the works of S.W.Silver & Co in the area called Silvertown which was established in 1852. From around 1859 the area became known as 'Silver's Town'. It became known as Silvertown soon afterwards. The factory at first made mostly cables but began making other products e.g.tyres and golf balls from the 1890s. Gutta percha is a natural product of trees in the Pacific countries, introduced to Europe in the 1940. One of the first 'plastic' materials.
Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection.
Looking towards from Upper Road, before construction of Tramway track 1903. "Phillips" Coach, Tyre & Spring Smiths on the right.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref 8/1/10 -10