Photo shows, E. Loughin's Grocery shop at No78 (it was shown as run by Timothy Murphey in the 1902-03 Kellys directory) J. Mc.Kirdy's fancy Drapery Shop at No79, it was still there in 1902-03 Kellys, and Silvertown Methodist Church. The road is being dug up for sewer works.
Photo Newham Heritage & Archives (Stratford)
By Jene Langley 1990.
North Woolwich Station, was built in 1854 to serve the docks, industry, local population and visitors to North Woolwich Gardens.Constructed of red-brick with stucco quoins, pilasters and ballustrade. It was closed in 1970, and was restored and opened as a museum displaying material relating to the Great Eastern Railway in 1984. The Museum is now closed and awaiting a new use.
Part of the Newham Heritage & Archives collection
The school was formed in April 1990 through the amalgamation of Southern Road Infant and Southern Road Junior schools. It is a large four-form entry primary school of approximately 800 pupils, which also includes a 156 part-time place nursery.
The Conference Hall in West Ham Lane, Stratford, was in the block between Widdin Street and Bryant Street. It Became Methodist in 1934.
John G. Morley West Ham Borough Engineer 1904, succeded his uncle Lewis Angell when he was dimissed in 1899 and served until 1924.
On the corner of Freemasons Road , the pub was originally called the Railway Tavern. It has since been demolished and the Custom House Hotel now stands on the site.
Photo: Newham Heritage & Archives