Miss Rebecca Halley Cheetham was the first warden of the Canning Town Women's Settlement for 25 years from 1892.
Many notable people lived in Newham, here is an ouline of twenty of them.
A Forgotten Local Worthy.
In this photo, looking east along the Portway is "The Cedars"Territorial Army H.Q. on the left. The house, formerly known as "Upton Lane House" was from 1829 until 1844, the home of Mrs Elizabeth Fry, Quaker minister and prison reformer. Whilst living there, she conducted her campaign for the reform of prison conditions, and was in in 1842 visited by King Frederick William IV of Prussia.
Newham Council used powers under the Town & Country Planning Act, 1971 to designate the Woodgrange Estate a Conservation Area in 1976, with the aim of preserving and enhancing its special character and appearance.
Elizabeth Fry (Gurney) who married Joseph Fry (Quaker) in 1800. The Fry family home was Plashet House in East Ham where Elizabeth lived until 1829. Philanthropist Elizabeth Fry, was a tireless campaigner for prison reform, and human rights. Both Fry and her brother-in-law Thomas Fowell Buxton, are commemorated on the back of the English five pound note.