The house and gardens at Wanstead became one of the great showplaces of their day, particularly because they were so close to London. In 1724 Daniel Defoe remarked that 'it has become the general diversion of the citizens to go out and see them'. Even today, many thousands of local people enjoy walks around the lakes in the open air.
Avenons Road (seen here in the 1960s) was built on six acres of marsh pasture land that were owned by Nicholas Avenon a merchant tailor of London who died in 1599.
He conveyed to 12 trustees by a deed of 1580, six acres of marsh called Withering's mead. After his death the income from this land was to provide 24 poor persons with a penny loaf each Sunday, with any residue going towards an annual sermon to be preached in the parish church. The charity has had a complex history, with controversy arsing at various times. Development of the land took place between 1881 and 1897 and, when completed, the estate in Avenons Road, Hayday Road, Ingal Road and Denmark Street comprised the sites of about 140 houses, let on building leases.
(Image and text: Newham Heritage Service. More information about Avenon's charity can be found in West Ham 1886 - 1986, published by the London Borough of Newham).
Green Street and Plashet are two areas familiar to many Newham residents.
This view is of the frontage of a house that dates from the time of Queen Elizabeth I that stood in Church Street, E15. The photograph was taken in August, 1923.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref 13/1/10 -B3
On 27th June 1556, eleven men and two women were put to death by burning at the stake for their 'protestant beliefs' on the orders of Queen Mary Tudor - 'Bloody' Mary. The site of the incident was Stratford Green, then a large 'village green' which extended from the site of St John's to Water Lane in Stratford.
Image from a glass magic lantern slide in the Newham Heritage Collection.
posted by: Robert J Rogers.
“West Ham Park is a bright gem set centrally in the northern part of the Borough” These words were taken from a book called “Fifty years a Borough”, in 1936.It can still be said today in the 21st century, but the history of the area we know as West Ham Park goes back to the 16th century.
The portrait shows Margaret Tyrrell, wife of Thomas Tyrrell of Herongate near Brentwood. She was related to Heron Family who owned the manor of Aldersbrook in Little Ilford in the early 16th century. In the top left hand corner of the portrait the artist has painted its date, 1581 and her age at the time, 38 years. She is dressed in her finest clothes. Notice the pearls and gold thread on her head-dress, the fine lace ruff at her neck and the silver and gold thread embroidery on her bodice beneath her heavy gold chains.