This building at 185 Romford Road was Clark's (Private) High Schools For Girls, and a Kindergarten & Preparatory Class for Little Boys, Forest Gate Branch. (photo taken in 1928)
In 1904 there were 13 private schools in West Ham classed as Secondary this included Forest Gate collegiate school for girls, Romford Road, founded in 1874.
Later this school was taken over by Clark's. In 1918 it was one of 11 private schools in the borough recognized by the Board of Education. This building was demolished in 1935. By 1939 hardly any private schools survived, but in 1941 Clark's were still in Romford Road Forest Gate, but at no328, the Principal at this time was Ernest G.V. Clark.
There is also a photo of Clarks girls in 1910 on this site.
Photo:Newham Heritage & Archives
MANSFIELD HOUSE has been based in Plaistow from 1889 and has provided community activities and social support since that time.
STRICT BAPTISTS IN NEWHAM - FACT SHEET
Strict Baptists are a branch of the Christian faith. There have been eight congregations and churches in Newham, with three continuing.
WEST HAM TABERNACLE, West Ham Lane E15
The tabernacle meetings date from 1839, initially meeting at the home of John Champress with people from Zoar Chapel, Whitechapel and The Ark, Stratford; later hiring a stable loft for services. The first tabernacle was built in 1844 and enlarged in 1850. The work flourished under Jabez Humphreys (1896 -1901). The building was sold for road widening and moved to another site in West Ham Lane in 1903. The present building dates from 1926. Membership peaked at 240, declining from 1936, by 1966 it was 78.
ENON CHAPEL, Chapel Street, Stratford, E 15
This work was pioneered by Captain Whittle in about 1840. The Chapel was built in1842 and closed 1854 when Isabella Whittle sold it for use as Stratford Ragged School
GURNEY ROAD GRACE BAPTIST, Stratford, E15
This began in 1870 with a small group led by James Mortar, a local builder, meeting in a house in Forest Lane. They then moved to Chatsworth Road, using a room adjoining Mortar's house until 1882.They then met in a school in Buckingham Road, moving to an iron church in Gurney Road, moving into a permanent church in 1885 (probably built by Mortar). Ministers: J H Gray, 1870 -74; J H Lynn, 1875 -89; J C Hawson, 1891-93; E Marsh 1894 - 1904; H D Tooke, 1905 - 14; W S Bamber, 1915 - 17 Membership in 1889 was 149, which remained consistent until 1939, declining to 85 in 1966. Church was bombed in Second World War. Church's aim: "To preach the Gospel of the grace of God to all"
Listed by Whitley 482
For nearly half a century ASTON CHARITIES TRUST has been in engaged in social action and has been providing community services to the people of Newham.
CHRIST CHURCH, BARKING ROAD, PLAISTOW. Every picture tells a story. The site, name and people linked with this place all tell the story of accelerating change and dogged continuation.
On the evening of 8 April, 1953, signal failures led to delays on the Central line, with drivers again following 'stop and proceed' rules. However, a train heading eastbound towards Epping ploughed into the back of a stationary train waiting in the tunnel between Stratford and Leyton just before 7pm, leaving twelve passengers dead and many wounded.
The driver was hurt but survived and was later charged with having ignored the 'stop and proceed' rules by a Public Inquiry.
It was the 6.55 Epping train which run into the back of a Hainaught bound train.
Seem the driver passed a signal at Red, and because the tunnel curves round he did not see the other train which was standing still until it was too late.
There are various reports on the incident which states 12 killed, but the British Pathe News states 8 adults and one child.
Amongst the 42 who were injured was the driver of the Epping Train who had to have his leg Amputated
Tar was one of the many by-products from Beckton Gas Works, derived from burning coal, either for coke production or the gasification of coal.