CHRIST CHURCH, BARKING ROAD, PLAISTOW. Every picture tells a story. The site, name and people linked with this place all tell the story of accelerating change and dogged continuation.
Past Mayors of the London Borough of Newham.
The original building was opened in 1921 by Will Thorne, M.P. before King George V and Queen Mary. It cost about £100,000 and included a theatre, swimming-bath, gymnasium, and sports ground, it was very successful until the Second World War. It was closed and sold in 1956. In the 1970s it was being part used as offices. The interior and rear has now (2010) been demolished, the facade restored and modernized, the building rebuilt and converted into one and two bedroom apartments. See old photo titled, Y.M.C.A. & Red Triangle Club, in Plaistow E13, on this site.
The University of East London's Docklands campus was the first new university campus to be built in London for over fifty years.
Ray Scull who grew up in Canning Town, is project manager for construction firm, Higgins, whose £3.7 billion scheme was to build up to 10,000 new homes. With new community and leisure facilities, in Canning Town and Custom House.