painting

Spotted Dog, Oil on Canvas

Painting by H. Smart 1903


The Spotted Dog Inn, it is the only ancient building to have survived in Forest Gate. It is a timber framed building from the 16th century or earlier. It has been much restored and altered over the years and has been neglected and is not in use at the moment. 


Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection

Spotted Dog, Oil on Canvas

St Mary Magdalene, Oil on Canvas

Painting by A. E. Butler, 1912.


The ancient parish church of St Mary Magdalene East Ham was built in Norman times and is still in use today. It has one of the best preserved Norman Arches in the country and the churchyard is almost 10 acres. The churchyard was closed to burials and became East Ham Nature Reserve.


Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection

St Mary Magdalene, Oil on Canvas

Bell Tower at Three Mills, water-colour

Water-colour painting of, the Bell Tower, Tide Mill, Three Mills Lane, E3.


The Clock Mill has two kilns, the cone of one you can see to the left of the Clock Tower. The Mill building was erected in 1817 but the clock tower dates from 1753. It is said to contain the original clock with a bell founded in 1750.


Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection

Bell Tower at Three Mills, water-colour

Central Park East Ham, oil on board

Painting by R. Wyatt 1959


It shows the second bandstand which replaced the original ornate cast iron bandstand sometime before WWII, this later bandstand was in the circle of trees on the lawn. It was removed in 1970s. The Town hall can be seen in the distance. The block of flats is Doran Court, built in 1958 not long before the date of this painting. On the site of a wood turning / furniture factory which burnt down a few years before. It is named after an East Ham (later Newham) councillor. He also had Doran Walk, on the Carpenters Estate, Stratford named after him.


Part of the Newham Heritage & Archive collection

Central Park East Ham, oil on board

Smiths Timber Yard Plaistow Oil on Canvas

Oil painting by A. Viney Rust.


The Timber Yard was listed in the 1855 directory as, William Smith, Carpenter.                                                                                             In 1878 directory as, Smith Harriot & Son, Carpenters etc, 11 North Street.                                                                                                           In 1896 at 8 North Street west side was Smith W & Son, undertakers.


In the painting North Street curves to the left, and there are the old houses in Pinnocks Place on the right. St Marys Church would have been behind you out of the painting, there is a gas lamp standard in the middle of the road which is also shown in the photo of St Mary's Original Parish Church, Plaistow.


Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection. Bequeathed by Mr Melliar - Smith 26 February 1986.

Smiths Timber Yard Plaistow Oil on Canvas

Round House East Ham Oil on Canvas

Painting of a quaint octagonal cottage meant to contain four families and called the "Round House" it was situated at the top of what is now Shrewsbury Road. This building was demolished in 1894.


Part of the Newham Heritage & Archives collection

Round House East Ham Oil on Canvas

North Woolwich Station, oil on canvas

By Jene Langley 1990.


North Woolwich Station, was built in 1854 to serve the docks, industry, local population and visitors to North Woolwich Gardens.Constructed of red-brick with stucco quoins, pilasters and ballustrade.  It was closed in 1970, and was restored and opened as a museum displaying material relating to the Great Eastern Railway in 1984. The Museum is now closed and awaiting a new use. 


Part of the Newham Heritage & Archives collection 


North Woolwich Station, oil on canvas

Margaret Lyle (1857-1915) Oil on Canvas

Framed and Glazed Portrait from Queen Mary's Hospital

Margaret Lyle (1857-1915) Oil on Canvas
Syndicate content