Copy of a watercolour drawing of West Ham Church by Thomas Wakeman, 1808. The Church dates from the late 12th century, but was considerably altered in the 13th century and again in the 15th century.
Drawing by Tillard dated 1769. The Church dates from the late 12th century, but was considerably altered in the 13th century and again in the 15th century.
Les Rice of Stratford and Len Pringle of Forest Gate are Newham Conservation Volunteers and they have carried out a lot of work in clearing up the area around the Bow Back Rivers - now part of the London 2012 Olympic site. They planted many trees and shrubs in the area incuding the willow tree in the centre backgound of the picture
The painting from the collection of Newham Heritage & Archives, was commissioned as memorial to Kenneth Marshall. B.A., F.S.M. Curator of Passmore Edwards Museum 1956-1966.
by: Robert Rogers
One of the most famous views in Stratford is the `Lavender Girls` on the side of Wharton House in Stratford High Street as you come from Bow.
This view is thought to be the area known as Old Canning Town, laying between the stretch of the River Lea known as Bow Creek and the railway. The gas holders in the distance could either have been at Bromley-by-Bow or Poplar Gasworks. The church would have been St Gabriel in Wellington Street, built in 1876 on the site of an earlier iron church. St Gabriel's was damaged during the Second World War and demolished about 1955.
Etching dated 1934, from the collection of Newham Heritage & Archives.
By Robert J Rogers.
This painting by my late father John Rogers, shows the Hammers in action at Custom House.
The toll gate at the Abbey Mill. It was one the two gates set up by the Essex Quarter Sessions in 1681 across the roads leading eastwards from London - High Street, Stratford and Abbey Lane. It was the last toll gate on the eastern side of London, operating into the 1930s.
From the collection of Newham Heritage & Archives.