East Ham School Board opened the infants school in 1896. In 1921 part of it became a central school. The remainder was reorganized for seniors and juniors in 1921, for juniors and infants in 1933. In 1945 it was again reorganized for infants and Secondary (modern) boys.
St Angela's Preparatory School, Grove House, Upton Lane, Forest Gate, gave preparatory and Montessori classes for Boys and Girls. The Ursuline nuns admitted boarding pupils from 1862, by 1902 St Angela's had been recognized by the Board of Education as a public secondary school. A preparatory department was opened in 1903. Under the Education Act, 1944, the school became a multilateral secondary school. Between 1948 and 1955 Grove House was demolished and a new wing built on the site.
Looking West down Ham Park Road. Standing opposite west ham park were these fine Victorian villas with decorative iron railings. Ham Park road continues beyond the the building where the road narrows.
The Spotted Dog Inn is the only ancient building to have survived in Forest Gate. It is a timber framed building from the 16th century or earlier. It has been much restored and altered over the years and has been neglected and is not in use at the moment. This old photo was taken when it was in good condition. You will see lots of overhead tram lines in front of the building.