Painting by H. Smart 1903
The Spotted Dog Inn, it is the only ancient building to have survived in Forest Gate. It is a timber framed building from the 16th century or earlier. It has been much restored and altered over the years and has been neglected and is not in use at the moment.
Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection
Electric Light came to Forest Gate in 1898.
This view looks eastwards along the Romford Road and was taken during one of the "Big Freezes" that happened towards the end of the 19th century. On the right, just behind the horse and cart, is the sign for the Live & Let Live public house. Note the gas street lamps.
St George's-in-the-East Industrial School was located at junction of Shaftsbury Road and Green Street.
Photo of the marriage of: Walter George Inglis, Mercantile Clerk (age 25). To Mabel Marian Hulbert, Spinster (age 24). From 64 & 67 Capel Road Forest Gate, at the United Methodist Church, Field Road, Forest Gate, 6th July 1910. Their fathers names were, Walter Ingles (Marine Engineer), and Thomas Hulbert (Solicitor).
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref 8/1/10 -30
Their Marriage Certificate is in Newham Heritage and Archives collection.
This elegant gentleman's residence was a substantial brick building of three storeys and five bays dating from the early 19th century.