This ornate invoice header was used by Ward, Whiteway & Co., of 198 Woodgrange Road, E7, in the 1890s.
This view of Upton Lane House shows the front and east of the building. From 1700 until the 1850s, the area around Upton Cross contained a number of big houses standing in extensive grounds, many of which were occupied by well-to-do Quaker families. Upton Lane House which stood on the Portway (formerly Upton Lane) was the home of Elizabeth Fry from 1829 until 1844. It stood the grounds of Ham House (earlier known as Upton House), the home of her brother Samuel Gurney.
Blotting paper was a necessity in the days when people wrote using dip pens or fountain pens, to soak up wet ink.
Photographer at 160 Forest Lane, E7 advertises that he will also produce postcards from photographs.
The house, formerly known as "Upton Lane House" was from 1829 until 1844, the home of Mrs Elizabeth Fry, Quaker minister and prison reformer. Whilst living there, she conducted her campaign for the reform of prison conditions, and was in 1842 visited by King Frederick William IV of Prussia.
The house had a yellow brick front with a central pediment and classical porch and was said to have been constructed in the 19th century from the barn and farm buildings of an earlier house.
In 1890 it became the Head-Quarters of the 6th Battallion Essex Regiment (T.A.). There was a drill hall and drill ground to the rear of the premises. The building was demolished in 1960 and replaced with modern military premises which still houses the territorial army as well as army and airforce cadet units.
Copied from a photo 6/1/34
An Open Letter appealing for funds to support the work of the County Borough of West Ham Juvenile Organisations Committee.
Messrs A Wood & Son at 67 Woodrange Road, Forest Gate were firm of stationers, bookbinders and printers.
The letter is printed in a variety of fonts as part of their advertising. This item is included in the samples catalogue of C.H. Ward, another local printer.