Wooden staff or token was a safety feature used for single line railway working between Silvertown and Custom House.
West Ham Stadium was opened 28th July 1928 in Custom House. The stadium was used for Greyhound racing, Speedway, and Stock cars until it was demolished in 1972. Thames Association FC was formed to play on Saturdays at West Ham Stadium, Custom House in 1928.
Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection
This wooden building was used by the Port of London Authority and thought to be used in connection with clerical work, dealing with goods coming in by railway before being loaded into ships.
Steamship Lines operated from the Royal Victoria and Albert Docks. The Dock Company ran the docks until the Port of London Authority was set up. From these docks steam- and sailing- ship lines went to every corner of the world.
Railways carried huge quantities of freight, parcels and luggage, all of which required considerable administration.
The Port of London Authority (PLA) issued travel passes to staff.
This image shows the obverse of a first class pass and the reverse of a third class pass, issued for travel on the PLA railway in the Royal Docks. Both are embossed with the Common Seal of the PLA.
The whole street turned out for a party to celebrate the end of the War. If you recognise someone in the picture do let us know.