The Canning Town church was badly damaged by bombing in 1941, it re-opened in 1942 and finally closed in 1948, Trinity Church was demolished in 1957.
The Congregational Church in Grove Crescent was built in 1866-7 at a cost of £11,500, most of the money lent by William Settles a city merchant. His creation was nicknamed 'Settle's Folly'. It was sold in 1948 and became a furniture factory. It was gutted by fire in 1952 and later demolished.
Newham Heritage & Archives Ref 29/3/10 AD40. Photo in West Ham 1886-1986
Painting by A. E. Butler, 1912.
The ancient parish church of St Mary Magdalene East Ham was built in Norman times and is still in use today. It has one of the best preserved Norman Arches in the country and the churchyard is almost 10 acres. The churchyard was closed to burials and became East Ham Nature Reserve.
Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection
Christ Church, in the new District of Stratford by Bow,Essex. A lithograph (about 1852) by G. Hawkins, published by Day & Son lithographer to the Queen.
A photograph taken during "Education week" in June, 1922; when parties of visitors were shown over the church. Canon T.Guy Rogers, M.C., Then Vicar of West Ham, is seen in the centre of the group.
The First Church of St Mary, Plaistow, Built 1830. This was replaced by the second Church of St. Mary, built in 1894. This second church proved too large for post-war needs and was demolished in about 1977. the site was redeveloped for housing with a much smaller church and opened in 1981. There is another view of this church (in colour) titled St Marys original parish church.
West Ham Parish Church of All Saints as viewed from the site of Stratford Langthorne Abbey. From an illustration in Fry's History of East & West Ham.
The Catholic industrial school, Manor Park, opened in 1868, containing the chapel of St Nicholas, Gladding Road, which was open to the public.