Walter Harold Hill was born in Canning Town on 5th May 1916. He is seen here in the Second World War, when he served in the Royal Army Service Corps. After the war, in civilian life, he worked for the GPO in the Brentwood area. He died in 1976, aged 60.
(Photograph and information supplied by his daughter Sharon Hill)
This horse-drawn delivery van was owned by Robertson & Woodcock, the forerunner of Trebor Sweets. The photograph was taken in 1910 with Driver B. Fretwell in charge.
EMIGRATION TO AUSTRALIA FROM WEST HAM IN 1910
Ray Scull who grew up in Canning Town, is project manager for construction firm, Higgins, whose £3.7 billion scheme was to build up to 10,000 new homes. With new community and leisure facilities, in Canning Town and Custom House.
Plaistow Motors & Garage. It has black boards advertising removals and a booking office for day tours. Readable examples are Forest Tours, tours to the hop fields, and Southend. There is a large poster for West Ham Lane Kinema, and adverts for Rosemary (tobacco) and Bovril.
This large Clock, (A.D. 1899) by William Crow watchmaker, 140 The Grove, probably came from a large public building, (there was a similar clock in the old Stratford Library Water Lane). He was still at the same address in the 1902 & 1917 Kellys Directorys. He was on the first Borough Council of West Ham 1886-7 and Mayor of West Ham 1895-6. He died in August 1932.
Part of the Heritage & Archives collection
Memories of Life on the Railway and the Blitz.
Antony Fletcher in his fine uniform, with Henry Tate & Son's Ltd emblazoned on his cap, H.T & Sons around his collar and a smart set of buttons.