monuments, plaques and miscellaneous features

Gurney monument -2


  The year is 2002 and the Gurney obelisk still stands amidst the hustle and bustle of Stratford. 

Gurney monument -2

Stewart Smyth 1887-1936

Wood Plaque from the Memorial Chapel dedicated to Stewart Smyth, Th. AKCL (Theology Associate Kings College London) He is in the 1896 & 1902 Kellys directory at St Marks Vicarage Victoria Dock. It is likely that this was a side chapel in St Marks dedicated to his memory.


Part of Newham Heritage & Archives collection 

Stewart Smyth 1887-1936

Memorial, St Johns, North Woolwich. (2)

This memorial to the soldiers of the parish that died in WWI, stood in the grounds of St Johns Church North Woolwich.

Memorial, St Johns, North Woolwich. (2)

Memorial, St Johns, North Woolwich. (1)

This memorial to the soldiers of the parish that died in WWI, stood in the grounds of St Johns Church North Woolwich.

Memorial, St Johns, North Woolwich. (1)

Sarah Bonnell,Tablet.

Recording her charitable donations to West Ham, for the education and clothing of the poor girls of the parish.


Newham Heritage & Archives Ref 13/1/10 C41

Sarah Bonnell,Tablet.

John Curwen's Grave.

The inscription on the granite obelisk on the family grave reads:                       JOHN CURWEN


           Born November 14, 1816, Died May 26,1880


He developed and promoted the Tonic Sol-fa Method of teaching music.


"Let the people praise Thee, O God; Let all the people praise Thee."

John Curwen's Grave.

Boundary Plaque - St Mary Rotherhithe

Rotherhithe Parish Estate - Plaistow. St Mary’s Rotherhithe owned two parcels of land in Newham – one in Plaistow and one in Stratford.

Boundary Plaque - St Mary Rotherhithe
Syndicate content