Built in about 1901 on the corner of Romford Road and Sixth Avenue as a Methodist Church, the Celestial Church of Christ, 7th Year Parish took over the former Little Eye Youth Club in 1992.
STRATFORD NEW TOWN E15 began in 1870 when Chapel Street members started services in Chandos Road and transferred later to the Mechanics Institute [of the Great Eastern Railway] in Store Street. New Town was attached to The Grove church until 1919. From 1919 to1939 it majored on youth work, leading to a sports ground at Lambourne End. In the 1939-1945 war the congregation used the Anglican St. Marks which the Methodists later bought.
(Text: Colin Marchant Faith Flows in Newham Project,with additional information from Newham Heritage Service; photograph: Matthew Crisp. More information about the history of the Methodist Church in Newham can be found in Colin's article Methodism in Newham on the website )
John Wesley, founder of Methodism, preached in a Plaistow 'meeting house' in 1739.
1967 Photo of Tate & Lyle, showing the building and chimney. The large brick chimney is no longer there, but there are two tall and thin metal chimney's, with outer spiral stairs and navigation lights on top for the airport. Tate & Lyle was bought by American Sugar Refining Inc in 2010. Also shown Silvertown Station.
Clearing up in Beckton Road E16, after an air raid, September 7th 1940. By the end of the war in 1945 over 27% of houses in the borough had been destroyed. The figure was much higher in areas like Canning Town and Custom House, in the south of the borough.
This commemorative jug was produced for the jubilee of the Stratford Co-op. The scene depicts Straford Broadway with the Gurney memorial and St John's church.
The Methodist Church is set beside the busy High Street South in East Ham, this modern Christian church building opened in 2007. It is the latest Methodist church building to open in Newham and is one of seven in the Newham circuit.