This is a picture taken during 1920's-1930'sAs you can see the boys have their aprons on carrying out some sort of technical drawing.My Dad Ronald Edwin Gedge attended this school up until 1940, about age of 11 and this image is from the family collection.
This is a photo of one of the Tower Blocks, Stratford and Newtown Points being blown up in Stratford in 1981, built in 1964 condemned in 1978, the tower block once housed 80 families until they were moved out when structural faults were found. Photo By Poppy Show
Channelsea river, Stratford E15. This is a photo of the Channelsea River taken on the 24 May 2012, the trees and bushes of this small river are like an oasis in Stratfords concrete jungle, this veiw was taken looking south from Stratford Station , the rivers journey in the 1130s AD took it across Stratford High St and down to WEST HAM ABBEY also known as St MARY's ABBEY, Stratford Langthorne. The river turned the mills for the Abbey, the river then carried on and rejoined the river Lea and went down to the Thames.
Channelsea River, Stratford E15. This is a photo of the Channelsea River taken May 2012,The river is hidden behind buildings on Stratford High St, this was a tidal river that once powered a mill called " Wiggen Mill " for the monks at West Ham Abbey 1130s AD, The river is now a small trickle, but is Giving life to some trees and foliage and still managing to survive the mass building programme of Stratford in 2012. uploaded by Poppy Show
Altough classed as Hackney Speedway, Waterden road was actally E.15. The sport of Speedway racing (originally called Dirt Track Racing, when it arrived in England from Australia in 1928) came to Hackney in 1935. It opened in April of that year at the Hackney Wick Stadium, by Fred Whitehead, who was the Managing Director of Hackney Wick Stadium Limited.
The stadium address was Wick Lane E.9
The track was 340 yards long, had 18" depth of clinker, with a cinder surface.
The track was built inside the Greyhound racing track, another very popular sport in this part of east London, with greyhound racing also held at Walthamstow and West Ham.
The previous year the team had raced at Walthamstow and had the nickname `The Wolves`.