|Tramway Memorial Inscriptions.doc||33 KB|
By Robert Rogers
At the site of the old Transport Depot in Greengate Street, there is a memorial to the members of the West Ham Tram Department killed in the Great War (World War One).
A service was held regularly at the Memorial up to the start of World War two. It was then revived after the war when in 1946, a service was held by the Vicar of Plaistow. A march-past by Ex-servicemen and the Home Guard and a band conducted by Mr W Challis led the Hymn singing. (thanks to an item by the London Transport Old Comrades Association). There are 54 names on the memorial, including one recipient of the Militery Medal (MM).