This modern church building on the corner of Romford Road and Herbert Road was opened in 2009. It replaces an earlier one, built in 1964, that was badly damaged by fire (believed to be arson) in 2003.
The first congregation met in a disused beer-shop in Greenhill Grove around 1870 first and then in a skittle alley. The first building was in 1880 and a larger church was rebuilt in 1891. The 1964 rebuild was funded by the sale of the Sixth Avenue church.
(Text: Abridged from Colin Marchant's Faith Flows in Newham Project, with additional information from Newham Heritage Service; photograph: Matthew Crisp. More information about the history of the Methodist Church in Newham can be found in Colin's article Methodism in Newham on the website )