HAROLD ROAD Methodist Church was built in 1903.
Originally registered in 1868, by 1881 it had 90 members, grew between 1889 and 1902 and in 1903 built a new church for 650. In 1914 membership was 130 but in 1939 it had dropped to 30. The congregation shrank in the war and then the High Street church took over the premises in 1942. It became the headquarters of the Newham Community Renewal Programme in 1975. The Moravian Church also uses the building.
(Text: Abridged from Colin Marchant's Faith Flows in Newham Project; photograph: Matthew Crisp. More information about the history of the Methodist Church in Newham can be found in Colin's article Methodism in Newham on the website )