Striking figure of Evangelist adorns the front of the Methodist Church in Woodgrange Road.
The church began in1878 when the Stratford circuit erected an iron building in a growing residential area. In 1881-2 a permanent building housed the church which by 1903 was the largest Protestant congregation in West Ham. It remained strong through the 1930's with an 800 congregation in 1939. Bombed in the war, the congregation moved to Field Lane and was joined by Upton Lane . In 1956 a dual purpose hall was built on the Woodgrange site with the Katherine Road East Ham and Clinton Road congregations. In 1962 a new church was built with an external figure of an evangelist and a foundation stone with the five local uniting societies named.
See also an image of the interior of the old church on the website.
(Text: abrdged from Colin Marchant's Faith Flows in Newham Project, with additional information from Newham Heritage Service; photograph: Matthew Crisp. More information about the history of the Methodist Church in Newham can be found in Colin's article Methodism in Newham on the website)