STRATFORD NEW TOWN E15 began in 1870 when Chapel Street members started services in Chandos Road and transferred later to the Mechanics Institute [of the Great Eastern Railway] in Store Street. New Town was attached to The Grove church until 1919. From 1919 to1939 it majored on youth work, leading to a sports ground at Lambourne End. In the 1939-1945 war the congregation used the Anglican St. Marks which the Methodists later bought.
(Text: Colin Marchant Faith Flows in Newham Project,with additional information from Newham Heritage Service; photograph: Matthew Crisp. More information about the history of the Methodist Church in Newham can be found in Colin's article Methodism in Newham on the website )