The Methodist Church is set beside the busy High Street South in East Ham, this modern Christian church building opened in 2007. It is the latest Methodist church building to open in Newham and is one of seven in the Newham circuit.
The story behind this church began in 1872 when A G Batten, a worker from the Beckton Gas Works, rented a house in nearby Mountfield Road for home meetings. Open air services followed and two rented houses were soon crowded with converts.
A site was then acquired for a wooden building seating 130. The brick church was built there in 1885 for the Primitive Methodists and stood for 120 years.
Now the old church has been demolished and replaced by a worship centre within a Springboard housing association redevelopment.
The adjacent John Wesley Close is named after the founder of Methodism in the 18th century. Methodism has a long history in Newham-during the past 220 years there have been 41 Methodist churches within the Borough.
(Colin Marchant, Faith Flows in Newham project 2011; picture by Matthew Crisp)