The Harold Road congregation was settled in 1976 by members of the old Upton Manor congregation which had closed several years earlier. As they met for Sunday worship in a Methodist Church building situated in Harold Road, E13, the congregation was named "Harold Road". In 2004 the congregation relocated, and now meets for worship at the Hibiscus Community Centre, Buckingham Road, Stratford, whilst retaining the original name.
The Moravian Church was founded in 1457 in Bohemia and takes its name from the refugees from Moravia who settled in the lands of Count von Zinzendorf in Saxony. Moravians first came to the UK in the 1730s. Like the Methodists, they were a product of the 18th century evangelical revival and worked in Newham in the early party of last century.
It would probably have disappeared but for the arrival in Newham of substantial numbers of Moravians, originating in the Caribbean, where the Moravian Church had strong and successful missionary work dating from the 1720s. There is only one Moravian Church in Newham It has been meeting at the Harold Road Centre E7 since 1976 alongside other Christian congregations. The notice board on the Harold Road Centre E7 taken in 1998.
(Text and picture by Colin Marchant Faith flows in Newham Project 2011, with additional text from the Moravian Church British Province website.)