October 1900 saw the opening of the Passmore Edwards Museum and the re-opening of the West Ham Municipal Technical Institute.
The event was attended by the Countess of Warwick, the Mayor and members of West Ham Council and the Council of the Essex Field Club
The Museum was formally opened with a ceremonial key by the Countess, who also unveiled a bust of John Passmore Edwards, its main benefactor. The officials and guests then proceeded to the Institute, which was formally opened by Mr John Passmore Edwards who, along with the Countess, addressed the assembled guests. Votes of thanks were proposed by Professor R. Meldora, F.R.S., First President of the Essex Field Club and Councillor W. Crow, J.P., on behalf of the Council, and by Alderman J.H. Bethell, J.P., ex-Mayor, and by Councillor W. Smith. A selection of music was provided by Mr. C. Bidgood's Orchestral Band
The Institute was being re-opened following a fire that had gutted the building in 1899. The building is now a campus of the University of East London. The Museum was closed by Newham Council in the 1990s and is also used by the UEL.
The programme, printed on a lightweight card on four sides, measures 5" x 8" (12.5 x 20 cms). Newham Heritage Collection