Birds-eye view showing the extensive development of hostels and social care facilities provided by the Mission clustered around the Church.
The Mission was something of a social as well as religious phenomenon, providing a wide range of social activities and services to the community. Just one example of this was the women's outing which left the "New Tabernacle" building in 1926 when 1,500 women went in 47 charabancs for a day trip to Southend.
Although the main Church building and the Swift Centre remain, other parts of the complex have periodically been redeveloped to meet changing patterns in social care provision.
(photograph: Newham Council Collection)