Stratford Langthorne Abbey Site in the Early 19th Century.
The topography of the precincts is not precisely known and the plan is partly conjectural. The main conventual buildings were probably demolished soon after the Dissolution. They were clearly in the immediate vicinity of the Adam & Eve pub (demolshed as part of the Jubilee Line depot works) and the general lay-out of the site is consistent with other religious houses in neighbouring Waltham Abbey and Barking Abbey.
Various relics have been found including a two-light window and a stone carved with five skulls (both in West Ham parish church) and an onyx seal. Other sepulchral remains were found in the 18th and 19th centuries. More remains of the bodies of monks were found during the Jubilee Line extension works.
(Newham Council Heritage & Archives map and text amended from West Ham 1886 -1986 published by the Council of the London Borough of Newham)