West Ham (Strict Baptist) Tabernacle in West Ham Lane, E15.
The tabernacle meetings date from 1839, initially meeting at the home of John Champress with people from Zoar Chapel, Whitechapel and The Ark, Stratford; later hiring a stable loft for services. The first tabernacle was built in 1844 and enlarged in 1850. The work flourished under Jabez Humphreys (1896 -1901). The building was sold for road widening and moved to another site in West Ham Lane in 1903. The present building dates from 1926. Membership peaked at 240, declining from 1936. An amalgamation occurred in 1966 with a congregation from Stepney. Membership now 78. (Colin Marchant 'Faith Flows' project 2010; image by Matthew Crisp. See also 'Strict Baptists in Newham - Fact Sheet')